For World Sight Day 2015, RIIO visited Rwanda’s Diabetes Education Centre. Run by the Rwanda Diabetes Association, this centre provides training and education for youth living with Type 1 diabetes in Rwanda.
The Rwandan International Institute of Ophthalmology actively supports the theme for World Sight Day 2015: Universal Eye Health!
Key Messages for World Sight Day 2015
- 4 out of 5 blind people are needlessly impaired; let’s work together for the elimination of avoidable blindness
- About 285 million people are visually impaired worldwide. Preventable causes are as high as 80% of the total global visual impairment burden
- 90% of the world’s visually impaired people live in developing countries
- Let’s integrate eye health at every level of the health system
- We must address the human resources crisis in eye health by investing in training, innovation and research